Are you interested in studying Mosaic at degree-level, but have not been able to find a university or training centre teaching mosaic?
Here at Southbank Mosaics we’ve been working very hard over the last few years in opening the UK’s first independent art school teaching Mosaic. This comes timely in answering a growing interest in our short courses, and so far no progression route for a career as mosaic artisan.
We are setting up London School of Mosaic in September 2017 with the generous support of Arts Impact Fund and the many practitioners and academics who have helped us to get this far.
The degree programme is currently being finalised by our team, with academic input from Dr. Will Wooton, Lecturer in Roman Art at King’s College London and Dr. Eileen Rubery, Art Historian at Cambridge University.
We will be offering:
- Short courses
- A Diploma course (1 year)
- A BA degree (3 years; with the option to top up from diploma to BA level)
- We are working in partnership with University of Greenwich, who are in the process of accrediting our BA degree course. The course will be offered at a significantly lower cost compared to current fees. Please contact us if you require further details.
- The degree will be unique, providing practical and academic teaching in mosaic, within a workshop environment that is based on our experience of running Southbank Mosaics. The degree will cover the following modules:
- Fabrication of Mosaic
- Ways of seeing (Aesthetic theory & designing mosaic)
- History of Mosaic
- Optional: Social Impact or Restoration/Conservation
- Professional & Commercial Practice
Building and location
We will be moving into a former construction training centre (Ludham Training Centre, Mansfield Rd, NW5 4SF) - see on map, which provides us with a fully functional workshop. The school will be located in walking distance from Gospel Oak Rail and Belsize Park Station (Northern Line Tube) in the Hampstead area, accessible within less than 30 minutes from central London. There are also several bus routes.
Call for Prospective students
Please let us know if you are interested in studying with us, or if you just want to find out more.
We are recruiting students for a one year diploma course in 2017/18. We anticipate that students who complete the diploma will be able to enter into the 2nd year of the BA. This is subject to our negotiations with University of Greenwich.
Please also let us know if you are interested in taking the 3 year BA course, which we envision to start in 2018/19.
Any expression of interest will help us shape the course, and we welcome your feedback. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org